2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Hugely chunky, thick, colorful, and peppery, this great peasant soup is filled with chewy ham, tender beans and potatoes, with carrots and green beans along for the ride for texture, color, and taste. Its an excellent hearty meal, most especially with a frosted stein of good beer and chewy bread. Posted by request. Copied and pasted from Soupsong.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb white beans, soaked overnight in water to cover
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup cubed bacon or 1/2 cup country ham
- 1/4 lb green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 celery root, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes (if you can't find celeriac, use 2 stalks of celery, cut into cubes)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 leek, sliced into thin rings
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 parsley root, cubed (or 1/2 cup chopped parsley)
- 1/2 lb small red potato, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon marjoram, crumbled between your palms
- 1 teaspoon thyme, crumbled between your palms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- 1Drain the soaked beans, then put in a kettle with 8 cups of water and the bacon.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for an hour.
- 3Add the green beans, celery root cubes, carrots, leeks, onion, parsley root (or parsley), potatoes, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaves.
- 4Bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for another hour.
- 5While the soup is cooking, melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan.
- 6Stir in the flour and let it brown very very slowly, stirring occasionally,this could take an hour, if you keep the heat low enough.
- 7When ready, stir in a little of the soup stock, whisk for a minute, then stir into the soup kettle.
- 8Season with salt and pepper and cook uncovered, stirring from time to time, for 10 minutes.
- 9When ready to serve, stir in the parsley, remove the bay leaves, adjust the seasoning, then ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Bean Soup (Bohnensuppe)
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.1
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 56.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: