Recipe by Mercy
Heavenly comfort food! Passive cooking time does not include the bean soak (overnight).
Top Review by Kaarin
This is a really good old-fashioned recipe! Easy to make and tasty. Someone ate all my carrots so I subbed frozen green beans and also used bow tie pasta to appeal to the kids. They liked it too! I did add some paprika at the end, but thought it could use a little more seasoning. Perhaps some parsley and garlic. I used light cream also, so my soup was slightly creamy and deliciously soupy. Thanks!
- 1 cup dried navy beans or 1 cup great northern bean, soaked in water overnight
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces dried thin egg noodles (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the beans in a medium saucepan and cover with water to 1 inch over the top of the beans.
- Cook the beans until tender, adding water if necessary to keep beans covered.
- Drain, saving the cooking liquid and adding enough water to make 8 cups of liquid.
- Put liquid and beans in large soup kettle.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- About 10 minutes after liquid begins to boil, add the noodles and the ham.
- When the noodles are done, turn off the heat and add the cream.
- Season to taste.