Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Heavenly comfort food! Passive cooking time does not include the bean soak (overnight).
Make and share this German Bean and Noodle Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried navy beans or 1 cup great northern bean, soaked in water overnight
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces dried thin egg noodles (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup sour cream
- Put the beans in a medium saucepan and cover with water to 1 inch over the top of the beans.
- Cook the beans until tender, adding water if necessary to keep beans covered.
- Drain, saving the cooking liquid and adding enough water to make 8 cups of liquid.
- Put liquid and beans in large soup kettle.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- About 10 minutes after liquid begins to boil, add the noodles and the ham.
- When the noodles are done, turn off the heat and add the cream.
- Season to taste.