Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Source: Taste of Home
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) canbavarian sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Add meatballs.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.
Thank You !!! I think my grand mother made this when i was about 13 teen , I'm making this for my hubby !!! OH,Thank You !!!!! For sharing this with me !! Lorene 3127229672
This was very easy to put together and smelled wonderful while cooking. I only wish that I had thickened the liquid to make a gravy. This was more soup-like than stew-like. Thanks for sharing this. Made for ZWT6.
I have made this recipe several times now and it is excellent! I use ground turkey instead of ground beef. I also use whole grain bread crumbs and an organic french onion soup mix. I also do not add the sugar. Everyone in the family loves this recipe!