Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make and share this German Baked Apples With Marzipan & Cranberry recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large firm tart apples (such as Jonagold, McIntosh, or Granny Smith)
- 3 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cranberries, halved
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup german marzipan (chopped or grated)
- 1 (4 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Using an apple corer, remove each apple’s core.
- Use the corer to carve out a wider hole.
- Using the tip of a paring knife, score around the middle of each apple (this will help them keep their shape while baking).
- Preheat oven to 325°F Place currant jelly in a saucepan, and cook on low heat, letting it thin to a syrupy consistency.
- Stir in cranberries, letting them barely cook for a minute or so.
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Let mixture cool and become firm.
- Press a bit of marzipan into each apple cavity.
- Spoon in some cranberry mixture.
- Add more marzipan, then more cranberry mixture and so on until cavities are filled, letting cranberry mixture be on top.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with pan juices, until skins are lightly wrinkled and flesh is soft.
- Stir together sour cream, confectioners’ sugar and remaining cinnamon; serve this mixture alongside apples.