Recipe by sugarpea
A light and puffy apple custard-like creation serving two and baked in a skillet. Great for breakfast, dessert and snacks.
Top Review by Nado2003
My pancake puffed up beautifully, but of course, it also falls after being removed from the oven. I followed the recipe except I used 2 apples (love apples). My family loved it. They thought it was a great dessert but my 10 yr daughter said "The Germans are lucky they get to eat this for breakfast." Perfect for 4 desserts. Thank you.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half or 1⁄3 cup light cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup tart apple, peeled,cored and thinly sliced (1 small apple)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the 1/3 cup sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, remaining 1 tsp sugar, salt and half and half until smooth; thoroughly whisk in eggs.
- In a heavy, 10" oven-proof skillet cook the apples in the butter over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes; sprinkle with the sugar mixture and stir, cooking, until sugar is melted.
- Pour the batter over the apple mixture; bake in a preheated 400° oven 12-15 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden; invert onto a heated platter.