Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Food Nation with Bobby Flay, Food Network.
Make and share this German Apple Pancake With Creme Fraiche recipe from Food.com.
- 7 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche
- 1 cup strawberry, for garnish
- Preheat broiler.
- For the batter: in a blender or food processor, combine the eggs, vanilla, and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Blend for about 15 seconds, until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix for 60 seconds more, or until very smooth.
- Set the batter aside.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add the apples and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, sprinkling them evenly over the apples, and cook, stirring, until the apples are glazed and slightly translucent at the edges, about 2 minutes.
- Distribute the apples evenly in the skillet and pour the batter over them. (Chef's Note: You may also make 4 individual pancakes, using a smaller pan. Just use 1/4 of the apples and 1/4 of the batter for each.).
- Cook until the bottom seems quite firm, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to the broiler and, while watching carefully, cook until the pancake is firm throughout and golden on top.
- Cut the pancake into 4 wedges and transfer them, apple side up, to serving plates. Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar, place a dollop of crème fraiche on top, and garnish with the strawberries.
ZWT4: Made breakfast for dinner tonight for my daughter and my best friend - Excellent!! I have never made this before and the instructions were easy to follow and I had all the ingredients on hand!!