Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Food Nation with Bobby Flay, Food Network.
Make and share this German Apple Pancake With Creme Fraiche recipe from Food.com.
- 7 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche
- 1 cup strawberry, for garnish
- Preheat broiler.
- For the batter: in a blender or food processor, combine the eggs, vanilla, and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Blend for about 15 seconds, until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix for 60 seconds more, or until very smooth.
- Set the batter aside.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add the apples and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, sprinkling them evenly over the apples, and cook, stirring, until the apples are glazed and slightly translucent at the edges, about 2 minutes.
- Distribute the apples evenly in the skillet and pour the batter over them. (Chef's Note: You may also make 4 individual pancakes, using a smaller pan. Just use 1/4 of the apples and 1/4 of the batter for each.).
- Cook until the bottom seems quite firm, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to the broiler and, while watching carefully, cook until the pancake is firm throughout and golden on top.
- Cut the pancake into 4 wedges and transfer them, apple side up, to serving plates. Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar, place a dollop of crème fraiche on top, and garnish with the strawberries.
ZWT4: Made breakfast for dinner tonight for my daughter and my best friend - Excellent!! I have never made this before and the instructions were easy to follow and I had all the ingredients on hand!!