Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is from the America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book.It is amazing!I made this today for breakfast with Vanilla Bean Maple Syrup.The recipe is so easy to follow and the directions and cooking times are perfect.I used 3 large Gravenstein apples and they were delicious in this.You could use granny smiths,braeburns etc.Instead of half and half that the original recipe calls for I used evaporated milk.I also omiited the salt since my butter was salted.The following recipe is mine,not the original.
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml granulated sugar
- 158.51 ml evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 59.14 ml packed brown sugar
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Whisk flour and granulated sugar together in large bowl.In small bowl,whisk milk,eggs and vanilla together.Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until smooth with no lumps.
- Melt the butter in a 10 inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.Add the apples,brown sugar and cinnamon and cook,stirring often,until apples are golden brown,about 10 minutes.Off the heat,stir in lemon juice.
- Quickly pour the batter around the edge of the skillet,then over the apples.Place the skillet in oven and immediately reduce oven to 425 degrees.Bake until the pancake is brown and has risen above the edges of the skillet,about 18 minutes.
- Loosen the pancake edges from the hot skillet with a spatula and flip the pancake onto a large plate.Dust with icing sugar if desired.Cut into wedges and serve.
Just made this a second time from my cook's illustrated book, my recipe calls for 2/3 cup half anD half, not E. Milk as this one. Also mine calls for 1 1/4lb peeled cut 1/2" apple slices. This is a pretty quick recipe and easy to make. the pancake has a custard texture to it. Needs no extra, I don't even powder mine at the end.