Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
While not authentic, this is a wonderful & easy recipe for a baked apple pancake.
Make and share this German Apple Pancake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Melt butter in a 9 or 10 inch skillet with an ovenproof handle (cast iron works great).
- Arrange apple slices in a single layer over butter.
- Combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar with the cinnamon & sprinkle over the apples.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring gently, until apples are slightly tender ( 5-6 minutes).
- Beat eggs, milk, flour & salt till smooth; pour over apple mixture.
- Bake for 8 minutes; remove from oven.
- Lower temp to 375º.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar over pancake.
- Return to oven & bake till evenly browned; 8-10 minutes.
- Loosen pancake around the edges & cut into wedges.
This was fabulous in taste Susie. It reminded me more of french toast than pancake's because of the sweetness. DH put maple syrup over his even though I thought it was fine w/o any type of topping. Added a bit of nutmeg to the sprinkling over top. Made only two servings..Glad I tagged for 123 HitWonders 08~
I've been looking for something quick, simple, easy to use up a bag of apples before I'd have to toss them. I'm not opposed to pie, but I'm just not in the mood for the time (or calorie) investment. This was just perfect! I only added half the sugar and it was just sweet enough! (and about 5 WW points if you're interested in that sort of thing). This is going to be a standard breakfast I have a feeling. While it is good cold, a few minutes in a hot oven makes it even better! It didn't get puffy for me like other German pancake recipes I've made, but that's ok. The pancake was almost like a VERY firm custard and not "cake" at all in texture. I might try adding an extra egg to get the protein up even more. Oh yeah, and by the way, I thought I had all the ingredients on hand, so while the apples were cooking away in the pan, I opened the fridge and realized NO MILK! I did have non fat powdered milk on hand and it worked just perfectly! 5 stars all the way!
This is a delicious, easy breakfast. Used two grannysmith apples and my Sweet Spice Blend instead of just cinnamon. Served with warm maple syrup and applewood smoked bacon for a wonderful Sunday morning breakfast!