Recipe by keen5
This is an excellent cake for potlucks or for any occasion! There are a couple of other German Apple Cake recipes on here, but this one is different. Prep time is approximate.
Top Review by unmistakable1
Oh, my ma always made this recipe when I was growing up, and everyone raved about it! The only thing I do differently is leave out the nuts... sorry, I'm just not a fan, lol! Also, the frosting recipe my mom gave me uses half the amounts of cream cheese and frosting, but 2 Tbs. butter and 1 tsp. vanilla. Ahhh, this is what you call comfort food :)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter.
- Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.
- Spread over cake.
- Refrigerate leftovers.