1/2 Photos of German Apple Cake (Versunkener Apfelkuchen)
1 hr 30 mins
Lizzie Rodriquez's Note:
Epicurious | October 2000 The World of Jewish Desserts This is one of the many types of apple cake popular throughout central Europe. I have seen apple cakes, a traditional Rosh Hashannah dessert, served on Sabbath and holiday tables from Israel to Australia
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 lbs cooking apples, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Gravenstein, Greening, Jonathan, Macoun, Pippin, Starr, Winesap, Yel (8 medium cored and diced, peeling is optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease a kugelhopf or 10-inch Bundt pan.
- 2Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat the butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in the flour mixture and milk.
- 3Beat the egg whites on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to high and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold one-fourth of the whites into the batter, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- 4Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Spread with half of the apples. Top with the remaining batter, then the remaining apples.
- 5Bake until golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then transfer to a rack and let cool completely.
- 6To make the glaze if using: Combine all the glaze ingredients, stirring until smooth and of pouring consistency. Drizzle over the cake and let stand until set.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Apple Cake (Versunkener Apfelkuchen)
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.4
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 114.3 mg
- Sodium 299.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 65.8 g
- Protein 6.8 g