1 hr 10 mins
This is a fairly simple and very elegant apple tart in a deliciously thick crust with spirals of apple wedges graced with a delicious cinnamon-sugar topping. I wanted a safe place to keep it and my mom's paper copy is pretty tattered from so many uses! The cake/crust part is good for a variety of other recipes too (a quick pat-in-the-pan quiche crust, for example).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Crust or Cake
- 4 -5 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Cake/Crust: Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter as for a pie crust (mixture should be "sandy" with small pea-sized lumps of butter).
- 3Add egg and milk and mix well.
- 4Pat into the bottom and halfway up the sides of a 11 1/2 X 7 1/2 baking dish (I use large ceramic quiche pan).
- 5Filling: Arrange apple slices in a spiral around pan (I start outside and work in, eventually cutting pieces to fit).
- 6Topping: Mix topping ingredients and spread over apples. Bake for about 40 minutes or until apples are tender.
- 7Toward the end of the baking time you can also run it under a broiler to nicely brown the edges of the apples for the extra "wow" factor.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Apple Cake-Tart
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.6
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 80.8 mg
- Sodium 390.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 31.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g