Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A traditional favorite!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (or less)
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar (or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- To prepare cake, cream together shortening, sugars and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients and sour cream and mix well; fold in apples.
- Pour batter into greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- To prepare topping, mix all ingredients.
- Sprinkle over cake batter before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
A nice moist apple cake, I used 1 cup sugar (half white,half brown) in the batter, also reduced the sugars in the topping! The finished cake was cinnamony!! is that a word? and delicious!!
Delicious. Very cinnamon and I love that. I used more apples than listed because they needed to be used up. Also, I subbed butter for the shortening and plain yogurt for the sour cream but otherwise kept the amounts the same. I omitted the nuts, and was very happy to find the cinnamon sugar made a delicate sugary crust - the combo of brown and white sugar was really good. What can I say? YUMMY!
I made this cake yesterday and everyone loved it. It is the best apple cake I have ever made, I have never managed to make a good one til now. I didn't have shortening and sour cream so used butter ( a touch over 4 oz's) and buttermilk. Although it is really lovely, flavorsome and moist as it is next time I will add a handful of raisins and walnuts in the mix and maybe a cup or two more of apple. Thanks very much for a lovely recipe!