1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups apples, peeled and diced
- cream cheese frosting
- 3 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- 3Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
- 4Remove the nuts from the oven and set aside.
- 5Watch them carefully, as they burn easily.
- 6In a large bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, egg, egg white, canola oil and vanilla and mix well.
- 7In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- 8Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- 9Fold in the apples and toasted walnuts.
- 10Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- 11(It will seem like there are more apples than batter, but that's the way it's supposed to look.) Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a golden brown.
- 12Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a rack.
- 13While the cake is baking, make the frosting.
- 14Combine the cream cheese, light butter and powdered sugar in a bowl and blend until smooth.
- 15When the cake is completely cool, spread the frosting evenly over the top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.5
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 38.9 mg
- Sodium 423.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 52.3 g
- Protein 9.3 g