- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Combine dry ingredients. Use pastry cutter to work in shortening, until evenly distributed and “crumbly.” Dissolve yeast in warm water and stir in buttermilk.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well. (At this point, dough may be covered and refrigerated up to 3 weeks and used as needed).
- Roll out dough to ½ inch thick and cut out biscuits and add the sausage in the middle of the dough. Brush with melted butter and bake 12-15 minutes until golden.