Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is very similar to the Czech Angel Biscuits, but you can add sausage in the filling if you like additional flavor. Enjoy them.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Combine dry ingredients. Use pastry cutter to work in shortening, until evenly distributed and “crumbly.” Dissolve yeast in warm water and stir in buttermilk.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well. (At this point, dough may be covered and refrigerated up to 3 weeks and used as needed).
- Roll out dough to ½ inch thick and cut out biscuits and add the sausage in the middle of the dough. Brush with melted butter and bake 12-15 minutes until golden.
Great recipe-- thank you so much for sending this my way. I love that the dough can be stored for almost a month. These biscuits were light and flaky. I added a small amount of sausage to half of the biscuts, as my grandmother did. Just about a dime-sized piece. I think she would be proud :-) Thanks again.