Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A wonderful reliable tasty recipe for making gingerbread men or any other gingerbread cookie. Ice to make Gingerbread Santas for Christmas or to make clowns for a child.
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons treacle
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 pinch clove
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 175 g salted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 400 g plain flour
- Heat the first batch of ingredients until boiling in a small pot on the stove.
- Stir in the butter until melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the baking soda.
- Stir quickly to mix and then add the flour.
- Stir until well combined.
- Form into a log and chill for at least 1 hour then cutting off 4 mm slices or chill the dough in the fridge before rolling out to a thickness of 4 mm and then cutting out gingerbread men shapes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celcius for 13-15 minutes.
I have just made this recipe and it passes the "but mum I dont like ginger in my gingerbread men" Have put this in my cookbook and we are just about to decorate them now !!
This is the best gingerbread men recipe I have ever made. I like my gingerbread spicy so I added a little more of the ginger, cinnamon and cloves and omitted the orange zest. I like the fact that it is very easy to roll out once it has spent a little while in the fridge. Thank you for the recipe.