Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an applesauce cake my mother, Geraldine Lefever made every Christmas when we were growing up. I still make it now, and the wonderful aroma of it makes me think of that special lady every time.A family treat!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- 2 cups raisins or 2 cups currants
- 2 cups applesauce
- Cream butter, sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat.
- Add flour to creamed mixture reserving a little to dredge fruit.
- Add nuts and raisins Add applesauce and stir well into mixture Oil 2- 9x5" loaf pans, or 3 smaller Bake at 350 for 50 minutes until clean in center.
- Slices best after two days (if you can keep people out of it that long) Great plain or with cream cheese.
Pretty nice cake, really does taste better after a few days. i used dried cranberries instead of raisins, which worked out well. i also added a touch of vanilla and nutmeg to the batter.
Dear Milla, Never thought of trying dried cranberries. Now that DOES sound good! Thanks for your comment. Ann