Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Haven't made this in quite some time, but it makes a gorgeous, delicious, cheesy loaf. If you want to impress, try this one! Cooking time includes both cooking and dough rise time.
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour, about
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 lbs muenster cheese or 2 lbs monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Stir in the sugar, dry milk and salt.
- Work in the flour, a little bit at a time, until you have a firm but pliable dough.
- Work the butter into the dough, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is all absorbed.
- Turn dough out on to floured surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary, for about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Grease your large bowl, and return dough to it.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled- about 1-1 1/2 hrs.
- Beat the eggs, reserving 2 tablespoons for glazing.
- Beat the cheese, butter, eggs and parsley until smooth (can use food processor).
- Butter a 9" cake pan, or casserole dish that is 1 1/2-2" deep.
- When dough has doubled, punch, and roll in to a circle about 20" in diameter.
- Place dough on top of cake pan, pressing firmly to sides.
- Mound the cheese filling in the middle.
- Pull the dough that is hanging over the sides of the pan up,"pleating" as you do so.
- You will have about 10 pleats.
- Gather the pleats of dough together at the top, and twist firmly to make a topknot.
- Let rest for 10 minutes while you preheat the oven to 375.
- Brush the 2T.
- beaten egg over the cushion, and bake for 1 hr.
- You can cover loosely with foil if top is getting too brown.
- Once removed from oven, let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.