1/1 Photo of Georgian Beets in Cherry Sauce (Charkhalis Chogi)
1 hr 30 mins
Susiecat too's Note:
I love beets. I have found that very few share my passion for this wonderful root vegetable. Ah, well, I'll eat my beets alone, then. Here is a wonderful sweet/tart, fruity and yet savory way to prepare beets. Try to find *unsweetened* dried tart cherries -- if you use cherries that are not tart, the dish loses something, though it will still be very good. This recipe is by way of "Olive Trees and Honey," by Gil Marks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 beets, stems trimmed to 1 inch (2 lbs. total without the greens)
- olive oil, for coating during roasting (or vegetable oil)
- 158.51 ml dried tart cherry
- 295.73 ml water
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter or 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro or 59.14 ml chopped fresh dill
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Coat the beets with the oil and place in a single layer in a baking pan. Roast until tender, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly, then trim, peel, and thinly slice.
- 3While the beets are roasting, combine the cherries and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until very tender, about 20 minutes. Puree in a blender or food processor.
- 4Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft and translucent, 5-10 minutes. Stir into the cherry puree. Add the cilantro, parsley and salt.
- 5Pour the sauce over the beets. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Cherries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cherries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Georgian Beets in Cherry Sauce (Charkhalis Chogi)
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.3
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 153.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 1.7 g