Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from "Ambrosia". This cookbook is from Vicksburg, MS. Excellent dessert dish for social gatherings!
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 cups graham crackers, crushed
- 1 cup flaked coconut or 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- Heat 1/2 cup butter, sugar, cocoa, and egg over low heat until butter melts.
- Cool slightly.
- Place graham cracker crumbs and coconut or pecans in the bowl of food processor.
- Process while pouring butter mixture through top of processor.
- Process until thoroughly combined.
- Pat firmly in a 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter, powdered sugar, and pudding. Add milk. Beat until smooth.
- Spread over graham cracker layer.
- Refrigerate while preparing the third layer.
- Melt chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Spread over pudding layer.
- Refrigerate dessert until ready to serve.
- Cut into squares.
Good, but a bit too sweet - and generally I don't complain about that! I think I might like it more with nuts rather than coconut. I don't have a food processor so I crushed the crackers by hand and mixed it all together in the baking dish. That seemed to work out all right. I also used semi-sweet chocolate. Not only did I not have unsweetened on hand, but I also thought that unsweetened would be too bitter. The chocolate is my favorite part and definitely not what's making it seem to sweet...