Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- Sprinkle quail with salt and pepper.
- Brown quail on both sides in butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dissolve bouillon cube in boiling water; add to skillet.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove quail from skillet and set aside.
- Measure pan drippings; add water, if necessary to measure one cup.
- Combine flour and 2 Tbsp water; gradually add pan drippings.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Return quail to skillet; heat thoroughly.
- Remove quail to a serving platter, and serve with gravy.
Five stars for simplicity and taste! I've never cooked quail before, so I was looking for an easy recipe that wouldn't overpower the quail's natural flavor. We raised about 10 quail on our farm and butchered them ourselves, so bear in mind that the quail we cooked were not wild caught quail. The meat was moist and delicious, and the gravy was full of buttery goodness. It also went really well on the mashed potatoes I served on the side, along with sauteed kale. Thanks for posting!