Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 ounces pecans, broken into large pieces (1 1/2 c.)
- Position oven rack 1/3 up from the bottom of the oven; preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter an 8-inch loaf pan; dust the pan with fine, dry breadcrumbs; tap to shake out excess crumbs over a piece of paper; set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a big bowl, beat the egg to mix; mix in the buttermilk, butter, and the sugar.
- Add in the dry ingredients; stir or beat only to mix; stir in the nuts.
- Turn mixture into prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake 1 hour and 5-10 minutes.
- Cover with a rack and turn the pan and rack over, remove from the pan and then very carefully turn the loaf right side up to cool.
- Wrap the cooled loaf and refrigerate overnight; if you slice it immediately, as soon as it has cooled, use a serrated knife.