Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a recipe that I got from one of my husband's Marine friend's Mother. She came up to Virginia to visit him, and she cooked everyone a Southern Feast! My husband fell in love with the macaroni and cheese, so I asked her for the recipe, and, here it is! NOTE: This recipe is really just made by feel. After reading the reviews I received I re-adjusted the amount of milk in the recipe. Feel free to add, or subtract the amounts of salt, pepper, cheese or milk! Enjoy!
- 473.18 ml elbow macaroni
- 14.79 ml butter
- 6-8 slice American cheese
- 59.14 ml evaporated milk
- salt and pepper
- Boil 4 cups of salted water and add the macaroni; cook 8 minutes, or until done; Drain macaroni and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over LOW heat.
- Add cheese slices, one by one, until all are melted through, and cheese is smooth.
- Stir in the canned milk, more or less to your desired consistency.
- Add drained macaroni to cheese mixture; add salt and pepper to taste, and mix well until coated.
- Serve immediately.
This was easy to make and good to eat. I used 8 slices of white American cheese and it was just perfect.
I really enjoyed this dish and I am not much of a Mac & Cheese lover. I only crave it once in a great while. This recipe was super quick and easy, which I love! I recommend it if you want a quick craving fix or a quick side dish. I mixed it up a bit by using slices of deli American, some deli sharp American and a bit of shredded cheddar and when finished I sprinkled it all with a bit of bread crumbs(I feel it is not Mac & Cheese without them). It was a bit thick and maybe could have used a couple more tablespoons of milk to make it a little creamier, but that may be because I put a little extra cheese in it. I may use 1/3 cup of milk next time. Recipe does not make much. Maybe 4-5 servings if served as a side or 2 servings if having it as main meal. I recommend double/tripling recipe if you have a large family or want to serve it for a party. Thanks JuJu!
Do I put the evaporated milk in the cheese mix??