Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have made this recipe in the past and I am posting it in honor of Judy- Jude. Also posting for the "Cookathon" in memory of her (Jan, 09). She had many favorite recipes, however, this one by her father she really liked. I refer to it as KFC Judy D's Father's Recipe. It is very good.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup gold medal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Mix flour, salt, paprika, poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Place in a 13"x9"x2" pan with shortening & butter in the oven, melt the shortening & butter.
- Place chicken skin side down in melted shortening & butter.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken; cook 30 minutes longer or until thickest pieces are fork tender and juices run clear when pierced.
- NOTE:. This recipe is basically written as is, which I had received from Judy. She has also substituted skinless chicken pieces. And I have often added more spices, to make it similar to Kentucky Fried Chicken -- and used boneless chicken as well. Enjoy, it is a very good recipe and a withh a nice KFC taste as well.
This chicken turned out perfectly! I loved the very crispy outside. It's not the healthiest way to cook chicken, but it's sure delicious!! The seasoning mixture gave the chicken great flavor, too. FYI - The directions don't mention dredging the chicken in the flour mixture before putting into the pan. Thanks for the yummy chicken recipe. Finger-lickin' good!
I have been on a quest to find the greatest oven-fried chicken - crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. This is one of my 2 favorites so far. I made just thighs and it was wonderful. Even my grandson who is not a fan of fried chicken (go figure, lol) loved it and had more. Thanks Skipper/Sy for sharing your friend's great recipe. Made for All You Can Cook Buffet Tag.
I somehow missed the cookathon in remembrance of Judy-Jude so decided to prepare this recipe and the other chicken recipe she shared with you #349037 in her honor. I'm so very glad I did. This is wonderful chicken - very crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside - and a nice blend of seasonings. My entire family enjoyed it. I reduced the oven temperature to 400F so that I could put both types of chicken in the oven simultaneously. It still came out marvelous. Thank you for posting Skipper/Sy. May Judy-Jude live on in the hearts of those who love her.