Recipe by Sara 76
My son, George, isn't much of a meat eater (although he is improving! lol) and doesn't like the meat sauce in shepherds pie. We eat shepherds pie often, so I came up with this meat free alternative. He just loves it!! We actually make him single serves in ramekin dishes, but for this recipe I have modified it for a baking dish :) **Remember that muhrooms cook down quite a bit, so don't stress about it looking like too much beore you cook them.**
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 10 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 6 potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large pan. Add carrots, and cook for 2 minutes. Add mushroom, pepper, garlic, and Italian Hebs. Reduce heat, and cover. Cook until mushrooms start to change colour, stirring occasionally.
- Dissolve corn flour in about 1/4 cup cold water, add to mushrooms. Stir through, and continue to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
- Boil potatoes until tender. Mash with butter and milk.
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs into potatoes, until creamy.
- Pour mushrooms into a casserole dish, and top with potatoes.
- You can either spoon the potatoes on, or use a piping bag, for a nicer presentation.
- Top with cheese, and bake at 180C for around 30 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown.