Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a fabulous mix between egg custard and rice pudding. It's also a great use of leftover brown rice.
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 3⁄4 cup turbinado sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Grease 1.5-quart glass dish (olive oil works well). Pour mixture into dish and bake for 65-70 minutes.
- Since the rice falls to the bottom, stir at about 50 minutes in and at about 60 minutes.
i made this twice in the same morning. i found the cooking time is very touchy. if cooked a minute too long the whole thing curdles. when i stirred it the first time i should have taken it out. it looked creamy and delicious but i was following the recipe cooking time and it wasnt suppose to be done. when i checked it 10 minutes later it was nasty and watery so i chucked it and started over. i managed to only overcook the second one by a couple minutes and my good husband ate it. he said the flavor was delicous. so i will make it again and watch it even closer. it looked delicious before it burnt and i really want it to work out. i'll update when i try it.