Posting this recipe for ZWT New Zealand, which I found on ehow.com for New Zealand desserts. Here is what is stated: "George, world famous in New Zealand for his bread making books, branches out to make the world's best Bakewell tart. I challenge you to try this recipe and prove me wrong! As an electrical engineer, George became manager of the servicing workshop for a retail appliance business, and in this role he tested hundreds of bread-machines. Through his own efforts, and those of the customers he helped, he developed a great repertoire of never-fail recipes. George wrote four books on using bread making machines, all were published by Penguin Press." After some searching I found the author of this recipe to be George Dale and he is the author of "Delectable Daley Bread". Here in the USA, I think generally we find 9" frozen pie crusts in foil pans, which should work well for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 inch flan tin with shortcrust pastry
- 85.04 g caster sugar
- 85.04 g unsalted butter
- 56.69 g self raising flour
- 56.69 g ground almonds
- 2 medium eggs
- 2.46 ml almond essence (could sub vanilla extract)
- 29.58 ml jam (or preserves of your favorite jams or perserves)
- 14.79-29.58 ml sliced almonds, for topping
- 1Line 8" flan tin with shortcrust pastry crust (or use a frozen pie crust and I suggest baking it for 8 minutes prior to filling).
- 2Cream together sugar and butter until smooth. Add flour, ground almonds, almond essence, and eggs (beaten). Mix well.
- 3Spread your favorite jam evenly over the pastry with the back of a spoon.
- 4Pour butter mixture into pastry crust, and sprinkle top with flaked almonds.
- 5Bake in pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes. Leave in until middle has set.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for George's Bakewell Tart - New Zealand
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.3
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 63.7 mg
- Sodium 122.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 5.1 g