Recipe by GinnyP
An original recipe created by Chef Scott Meskan, George's at the Cove. We enjoyed this when we visited this restaurant in La Jolla, California. This recipe is requested so often, they have it printed and ready at the hostess stand. It's unbeatable at the restaurant, but I do a pretty good job at home, too, if I do say so myself!
Top Review by AngelicFantasia
I just can't say enough about how wonderful this soup is. Of course, I am a sucker for anything with cream in it and this one does not disappoint. I will be making this again and again but I will triple the chicken and broccoli because. This is the perfect dish for a casual get together. I served it with your jalepeno/cheese cornbread (review follows). Oh, my DH and DS LOVED it, too. Thanks, GinnyP.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup broccoli stem, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, hot
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (I like Cholula)
- 1 cup diced smoked chicken (recipe follows)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with a small amount of warm water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In 1/4 cup butter, saute carrots, onion, celery and broccoli stems for 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, oregano and basil; saute 5 minutes more.
- Add wine and deglaze pan.
- Add hot chicken stock and reduce by one-third.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, smoked chicken, beans and broccoli florets; simmer 5 minutes.
- Add cream, simmer 5 minutes more and season to taste (thicken with cornstarch if desired).
- Drop in remaining butter, piece by piece, stirring until melted and serve immediately.
- Smoked Chicken: On a covered grill, slightly smoke boneless chicken, cooking to medium rare (about 30 minutes).
- Chef Meskan uses applewood chips and does not allow the grill to become too hot.