Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are unbelievable in that they have NO flour, NO oats, NO gluten, NO starches of any sort. They are tender and must be turned carefully, but not inordinately so. And they are delicious! I use Lean Dessert Banana Nut Bread Protein, but use your favorite flavor of protein powder and just adjust the calories/carbs to match the protein powder you are using. Adjust the amount of EggBeaters by the thickness of the batter. Some protein powders are thicker than others. My independent nutritional analysis, using 1/2 Cup Egg Beaters and no additional Splenda, says: Per serving of 2 pancakes: 245 Calories, Fat: 6 grams, Carbohydrate: 15 grams, Protein : 45 grams.
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup egg substitute (EggBeaters original)
- 1 scoop protein powder (your favorite flavor, sugar free)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular (or other sweetener to taste) (optional)
- Throw all the ingredients into a small blender for one serving, and blend until thickened. If you choose to make more than two servings, use a normal-sized blender.
- Cook, turning carefully only once, on a hot griddle sprayed with vegetable spray. Be sure the first side is completely done (bubbles forming in top of pancake) before turning.
- Remove pancakes to plate when cooked, and top with sugar free maple syrup, low carb fruit, or sugar free jam. Or, spread them lightly with softened low-fat cream cheese.
- These are so delicious, they are even good raw! And using EggBeaters or other egg substitute, it's safe to eat the raw batter!
My husband who had Gastric Bypass was getting burned out on eggs every morning. I tried this recipe but used 1 egg instead of egg substitute. I also omitted the Splenda and used vanilla Bariatric Advantage Vanilla Protein Powder. It was delish and sweet enough without syrup! My husband doesn't crave sweet like he did before the surgery. However, He loved it and now I have a great high protein alternative to eggs for breakfast.
These are excellent! I used 1 pkg of French Vanilla Stevia instead of Splenda, and just whisked them up in a large measuring cup. They were so good they didn't need anything else on top!