Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is really a wonderful cake. It’s quite sweet but otherwise nearly perfect. Plain as it is, it’s too good for a frosting or anything more than maybe a little ice cream, or some butter and jam on a slice that is toasted under a broiler. Originally this called for a 1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla and almond extracts, but I prefer it with only vanilla. Other flavors may be used, too. To make a lemon pound cake, eliminate the vanilla and use 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and the grated zest of 1 lemon.
- 1⁄2 lb butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups cake flour, unsifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Thoroughly grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt or tube pan, then shake out excess flour. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about three minutes in a stand mixer or more with a handheld mixer. Scrape down sides of the bowl once or twice. Add eggs one at a time, beating well about 30 seconds after each egg. In between additions of egg, scrape down sides of bowl to ensure thorough mixing of ingredients.
- Fold in cake flour. Add vanilla and salt. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for about 10 minutes. Run a table knife around the edges to loosen them as needed. Then turn the cake out on a rack to cool completely.
This is absolutely delicious! Very light an airy. I did cut back the sugar to 1 1/2 cup since poster mentioned it was very sweet. Perfect! Had with strawberries. thank you for posting!!! Very easy to make desert. I baked this in a loaf pan as my bundt pan was on loan so I needed to bake an additional 20 minutes at 325 (was worried the higher heat might burn the loaf) Made for Election Eats! Tag