Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From my celebrity recipe collection.
- 1 lb round steak, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 can tomatoes (10 oz)
- black pepper
- Brown steak in butter in skillet.
- Add onion and green pepper.
- Sprinkle with flour; mix well.
- Combine garlic, tomatoes, cumin and pepper in bowl; mash well.
- Add to beef.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, adding water if needed for desired consistency.
The recipe produces an authentic South of the Border Carne Guisada. This is one of my favorite Mexican dishes. I added 2 cubed potatoes and added them as I browned the meat, cooked it about ten minutes and added the rest of the ingredients and simmered for 20 minutes. Instead of using plain tomatoes, I added two cans of diced tomatoes (10 ounces)with green chiles. Now I guess I'll have to make homemade flour tortillas to go with this.
This was really good and easy, too. I think I'll add a can of Rotel next time. I put Rotel in nearly everything to zip it up!!!
Excellent recipe! One of my family's favorites. I also use Rotel instead of regular canned tomatoes to give it a little zip.