Prep 6 hrs
Cook 20 mins
After much deliberation on the discussion boards it was decided that certain chocolate cakes were better than sex, but nothing is better than George Clooney, except for this cake! Prep time includes chilling.
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup cold whipping cream
- chocolate curls (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 F degrees Grease bottom of 8-inch springform pan.
- In medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- Add cocoa and 1 cup sugar, stirring until well blended.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Stir in flour and vanilla.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In small mixer bowl, beat egg whites with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar until soft peaks form; gradually fold into chocolate mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm (center will be soft).
- Cool completely on wire rack (cake will sink slightly in center as it cools).
- Remove side of pan.
- Refrigerate cake at least 6 hours.
- In small mixer bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form; spread over top of cake.
- Cut cake while cold, but let stand at room temperature 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.
This cake is SO worth the six-hour wait.
Incredible cake Mirj. We really enjoyed this delicious cake. It was well worth the extra effort. I was a little worried at first because it didn't look done, but I let it sit the 6 hours. Am I ever glad that I tried this, the cake is smooth, dark and rich with a wonderful texture. Thanks so much for sharing.