Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
My greatgrandmother Esslinger's recipe. Not the "Dutch" apple pie with crispy topping, this is a very rich sour cream based pie. Baking time varies on what type of apple is used and how large they are to begin with. Keep a close eye on the pie while it bakes so it doesn't burn.
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled,cored and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, scant
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line 9" pie plate with crust.
- Line the crust with the apple sections, core side up.
- Mix sugar, sour cream and cinnamon very well.
- Pour mixture over apples.
- Put pie pan on cookie sheet and place on oven rack appproximately 4 inches above bottom of standard sized oven.
- Bake slowly until filling has set and is starting to brown slightly.
- A toothpick inserted into the center of the filling should come out clean and the apples should be tender.
- Remove from oven and cool overnight on a wire rack so the crust doesn't get soggy.