A typical Belgian (Ghent) dish, used to feed the poor, but now even served in fancy restaurants.
Make and share this Gentse Waterzooi recipe from Food.com.
- Chop all the vegetables (except the potatoes) finely (brunoise) and cook for 5 minutes in the vegetable stock. Drain, but keep the stock.
- Poach the chicken filets in the same vegetable stock for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the potatoes.
- Keep vegetables and chicken warm, while making the sauce.
- Strain the vegetable stock.
- Make a roux (or beurre manié) from 100 gr butter and 100 gr of flour = Melt the butter and add the flour, add 1 l of the vegetable stock, let cook until slightly thickened.
- Finish off by adding the cream and the beaten egg yolks and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use soup plates for serving. Starting with the vegetables, put the cut up chicken filet on top, add sauce and garnish with potatoes and parsley.