Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This has been a longtime favorite of my family. I always make extra around the holidays to give as a gift. It's a big hit!
- 1 1⁄2 cups Bourbon
- 8 garlic cloves, minced (4 teaspoons)
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 35 ounces ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (fine grind)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- In a large nonstick pot over medium to medium-low heat, combine the bourbon, garlic and onion. Simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes, or until onion is cooked.
- Add red pepper flakes and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and brown sugar until combined with above.
- Stir in ketchup and vinegar until combined with above.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, pepper, sea salt and hot pepper sauce; stir until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Bring to a light boil. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 - 45 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat to cool. Then place in container(s) and refrigerate.
- * For best results, allow BBQ sauce to meld for 48 hours.
- * If you want a smoother sauce, blend or pass through a strainer.