1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This has been a longtime favorite of my family. I always make extra around the holidays to give as a gift. It's a big hit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups Bourbon
- 8 garlic cloves, minced (4 teaspoons)
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 35 ounces ketchup
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (fine grind)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1In a large nonstick pot over medium to medium-low heat, combine the bourbon, garlic and onion. Simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes, or until onion is cooked.
- 2Add red pepper flakes and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in tomato paste and brown sugar until combined with above.
- 4Stir in ketchup and vinegar until combined with above.
- 5Add Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, pepper, sea salt and hot pepper sauce; stir until all ingredients are mixed together.
- 6Bring to a light boil. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 - 45 minutes, stir occasionally.
- 7Remove from heat to cool. Then place in container(s) and refrigerate.
- 8* For best results, allow BBQ sauce to meld for 48 hours.
- 9* If you want a smoother sauce, blend or pass through a strainer.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gentleman Jim’s Kentucky BBQ Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.2
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 699.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: