Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This tasty recipes requires you to make a plain Genoise. This is very easy to do and tasty. You can use this Genoise recipe to make petit fours and other goodies.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 3⁄4 cup cake crumbs, from the genoise
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate, CHOPPED
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- warm water
- chocolate sprinkles
- TO MAKE GENOISE: Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour bottom and sides of a 14 inch x 10 inch baking pan. Shake out excess flour.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Place bowl in a pan of hot water. Beat until mixture is very thick and just warm. Mixture should form a ribbon when beaters are lifted. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Continue beating until mixture is almost cool. Fold flour into egg and sugar mixture. Mix in butter.
- Pour batter into prepared greased pan; level top. Bake in a preheated oven 20-25 minutes or until set on top. Cool pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Run a knife carefully around the edge. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Use within 36 hours or wrap and freeze up to 6 weeks.
- TO MAKE THE RUMBALLS: In a medium bowl, combine cake crumbs, sugar, almonds, rum and lemon juice. Melt chocolate in a bowl or top of a double boiler set over a pan of simmering water. Add to rum mixture with SUFFICIENT CREAM for mixture to HOLD TOGETHER when pressed between fingers. Form teaspoonfuls of mixture into 18 small balls. Refrigerate on a baking sheet 4 hours or until firm.
- TO MAKE THE ICING, combine sugar, butter, chocolate and rum in a small saucepan. When chocolate and butter softens, add a tablespoon of water. Warm again and add sufficient water to liquefy.
- TO COAT RUM BALLS, insert a poultry skewer in center of a rum ball. Tilt pan of icing and dip each ball. Let excess drip. To decorate, roll in chocolate sprinkles to coat completely. Refrigerate in a covered container with waxed paper between layers up to 10 days Makes 18 rum balls.
- If you can’t find superfine sugar in your grocery stores, take regular sugar and whiz in blender until it becomes like powder.
- Chocolates & Petits Fours.