Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
It came from the cookbook "The Gradual Vegetarian" by Lisa Tracey, with some variations because of what I had or items that I wanted to use up that were in my pantry. It has a nice flavor and is easy and filling.
- 1 cup split peas, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups escarole, cleaned and chopped
- 2 cups white cannellini beans, 16 oz can rinsed and drained
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Bring split peas and 1 quart of water to a boil.
- Heat oil and saute onions and garlic.
- Add other vegetables and the herbs and saute briefly, I like the escarole wilted.
- When the peas are falling apart, should be about 30 minutes after they have started to boil.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and cook another 15 minutes. Add the cooked brown rice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
- if soup is too thick, add water.