Recipe by Coasty
This was sourced from www.cookadvice.com and posted for ZWT 7.
Top Review by Outta Here
I noticed this recipe on the web site mentioned a few weeks ago, so after it was posted here, decided to try it. It took me awhile to figure out the conversions, but I think I came pretty close. I don't have a flan pan but used a tart pan. Flan pans must be deeper, because I stopped adding pears after 4. No way I would have room for 8, and it still ran over in the oven. I also subbed dried cranberries for the raisins. Other than that, it was really quite tasty. Sweetness and spices were just right. I will have to go look for a larger type pan for next time. Made for ZWT 7.
- 300 g shortcrust pastry
- 20 g flour
- 30 g sugar
- cinnamon, ground
- 8 pears, ripe, peeled, grated coarsely
- 50 g lemon peel, candied cut in small dice cut in small dice
- 50 g orange peel, candied, cut in small dice cut in small dice
- 100 g raisins
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 40 g brown sugar
- 100 ml cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 24 cm wide flan ring with the pastry and prick well with a fork.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and flour thoroughly and sprinkle this onto the pastry base.
- Mix the pear slices, lemon and orange peel, raisins and oil together then spread this on to the pastry case. Moisten the mixture with the white wine (all or part of the wine, depending on the amount of pear juice in the flan ring).
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cover with cream.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 220°C
- Loosen the sides of the flan and leave to cool; turn out when cold. Serve cold.