Recipe by karen2
Yes, that says 10 POUNDS of Chick Peas--before I left college, I had to "borrow" this recipe from my favorite cafe, hence the industrial sized proportions. I think a #10 can is 10lbs, so scale the recipe down to your amount--I always cut everything in 1/3, and it still makes a lot!
- 250 ml lemon juice
- 250 ml olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup tahini
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion salt
- 1⁄4 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 (10 lb) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain Chick Peas, and Mash with Potato Masher!
- Mix all other ingredients together.
- Pour mixed ingredients into Chick Peas, mash further.
- Hints--you can leave out most of the Tahini and Oil, and just add fat-free plain yogurt until it is at desired consistency, and add a bit of mustard too.
- I like mine chunky, like they had it at the cafe, but most people blend theirs.
- I also use extra lemon juice, and substitute chopped parsley for the scallion.
- Other tangy add-ins--the juice from a jar of pickles gives a kick, as does hot sauce.
- Serve with pita wedges, nachos, or in a"Hummanitarian" sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and sprouts.
- (50 servings is a guess, I never tried the whole 10 lbs).