Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Upstate NY is known for its many varieties of apples. NY State cooks create wonderful meals with the local apples including this pie from The Finger Lake region. From "Applehood and Motherpie" (Jr League of Rochester, NY). My favorite apples to use are Northern Spies but any firm baking apple will be a delight!
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream shortening with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Mix in boiling water; stir in flour.
- Press crust into a 9 or 10 inch pie plate.
- Pare, core and slice the apples; place in prepared pie crust.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over apple slices.
- Crumb Topping:.
- In a mixing bowl, cut 1/2 cup sugar and 3/4 cup flour into 1/3 cup butter until it forms pea-sized crumbs.
- Spoon mixture over the apples.
- Bake pie at 450F for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperaure to 350F and continue to bake for 30 minutes.
Simply delicious. I could eat the whole thing!
yummy... never made apple crumblelike t his before, but i loved the crust and the topping was a lovely change to my usual rolled oats version... thankyou so much