1/1 Photo of General Tso's Tofu
The Hungry Vegan's Note:
Crispy tofu in a sweet, blazing hot sauce. In my take on this dish, it gets its tang from tamarind and its heat from Thai dragon peppers. This recipe makes a little extra sauce because it's so good, you'll want to put it on everything.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu
- 5 tablespoons potato starch or 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1 1/4 cups mushroom broth
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind paste
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Thai red chili peppers (to taste)
- 11. Drain, rinse and pat tofu dry. Cut into 1" cubes.
- 22. Heat oil on medium-high.
- 33. Combine 3 T potato starch with salt and pepper. Dredge tofu and fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy. Let rest on paper towel.
- 44. Toast finely chopped peppers in a large skillet. Add garlic to brown. Do not burn it.
- 55. Add broth, tamarind, brown sugar, tamari, rice vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- 66. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- 77. Add 2 T potato starch. Let thicken.
- 88. Add fried tofu to mixture until warm and thoroughly covered.
- 99. Add any vegetables at the very end, such as: bell peppers, green onions, peas, or bok choy. Serve with steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for General Tso's Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.7
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2050.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 57.4 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper