Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Shrinking Kitchen/ Lightly breaded with lower sodium and fat.
- 59.16 ml cornstarch, divided
- 118.29 ml cold water
- 236.59 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 9.85 ml fresh ginger (grated)
- 29.58 ml honey
- 29.58 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 14.79 ml red pepper flakes
- 453.59 g broccoli (blanched)
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 473.18 ml cooked brown rice
- Step by step.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Blanch (slightly steam) the broccoli. It should still be fairly crisp.
- In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by whisking together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and the water first, then add the chicken broth, garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce and pepper flakes.
- Adjust the pepper flakes to your taste. I used only 1/2 tablespoon so my kids could eat it.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat.
- In another small bowl, mix the remaining 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Throw the chicken pieces into the cornstarch mixture and toss to coat.
- Working in batches, brown the chicken in the oil.
- Once all the chicken is browned, put it all back into the skillet.
- Add the broccoli and the sauce.
- Cook over for a few minutes more until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened.
- Serve the chicken and broccoli mixture over rice.
- Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds if desired.