Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Shrinking Kitchen/ Lightly breaded with lower sodium and fat.
Make and share this General Tso's Chicken (Take out Fakeout) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb broccoli (blanched)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Step by step.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Blanch (slightly steam) the broccoli. It should still be fairly crisp.
- In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by whisking together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and the water first, then add the chicken broth, garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce and pepper flakes.
- Adjust the pepper flakes to your taste. I used only 1/2 tablespoon so my kids could eat it.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat.
- In another small bowl, mix the remaining 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Throw the chicken pieces into the cornstarch mixture and toss to coat.
- Working in batches, brown the chicken in the oil.
- Once all the chicken is browned, put it all back into the skillet.
- Add the broccoli and the sauce.
- Cook over for a few minutes more until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened.
- Serve the chicken and broccoli mixture over rice.
- Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds if desired.