I adapted this recipe from one I found on Martha Stewart's website. It's delicious and filling, a little spicy, with plenty of vegetables, and it's on the table in 45 minutes! What more can you ask? Oh, yes, it's gluten-free. Use as many vegetables as you want - the more, the merrier. Make sure you start the brown rice first, then begin your veggie prep.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 8 ounces snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated and peeled
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 large egg whites
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1Cook rice according to package instructions.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water until smooth. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, wine, and red-pepper flakes, snow peas and all other vegetables; toss to combine, and set aside.
- 3In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken cubes, and toss to coat.
- 4In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Lift half the chicken from egg-white mixture (shaking off excess), and add to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and chicken, and set aside (reserve skillet).
- 5Add vegetable mixture to skillet. Cover; cook until veggies are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. (have a little water on hand to add in case it gets too thick while cooking) Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat. Serve with rice.
- 6Calories: 460 for ¼ of recipe, not including rice.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for General Tso's Chicken - Light Style
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.1
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 651.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 40.1 g