Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Pretty good, but not quite so healthy version of General Tso's Chicken. I am looking for ways to make it a bit healthier. If you have any ideas, please post. Adapted from http://thymefornourishment.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/general-tsos-shrimp/.
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled, deveined, tails removed)
- 1 lb chicken breast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup stir-fry oil
- 14 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 scallions (sliced with while and green parts separated)
- In a large bowl combine the cornstarch and beaten eggs. Mix well to create a batter. Add the shrimp and chicken and coat well.
- In a small bowl combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, the white parts of the scallion, and cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.
- Add oil to wok and heat to 375 degrees. Add shrimp and chicken to the wok in batches and cook untill shrimp are white and chicken is not pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add crushed red peppers to the oil remaining in the wok and stir fry for about 30 seconds. Return the shrimp and chicken to the wok and stir fry for a minute or two.
- Add sauce mixture to the wok and stir until the sauce becomes thickened and coats the shrimp well. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions.
- Serve with broccoli and white rice.
I loved this recipe! Very easy to make and very tasty. I tried to make it a bit healthier by first using 1/2 cup of cornstarch and 1/4 cup soy sauce and one egg mixed together in a zip lock bag. Add meat, smoosh and marinate. Makes a good crust with less batter. I pan fried using spray oil and a couple of tablespoons of canola. Also reduced sugar to 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of honey to sauce. Sauce was awesome! I don't know if I saved much in the way of calories....but it sure came out delicious! I also added water chestnuts and steamed broccoli.
Tried this recipe for the first time today and it was sooooo helpful. It came out very delicious and I recommend everyone try this, super easy also tasty :)
Way too much vinegar in this recipe. Edible but not right.