Recipe by ms.mongoose
There's no substitution for the real thing, but this is a close approximation of the deliciously sweet, tangy, spicy favorite at Bo Ling's.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped garlic
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 pieces dried red chili peppers
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cups canola oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken breast into big chunks.
- Mix eggs and 1/2 cup of the corn starch to form a paste.
- Thoroughly cover chicken in cornstarch paste.
- Fry the chicken chunks in small batches in oil till done.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to a large skillet and saute chopped ginger, garlic and dried red chili pepper till light brown.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and chicken stock.
- Mix together remaining 1/4 cup cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and add to skillet when sauce begins to boil.
- Add cooked chicken and stir to coat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Drizzle with sesame oil and serve over fresh jasmine rice.