Recipe by ~Nimz~
This recipes is different from some of the others posted here so I thought I'd add it. The sauce carmalizes nicely and has a great flavor. The original recipe is from Chinesefooddiy with some alterations by me. Hope you enjoy.
Top Review by crecre120
I made this for my 5 year old because he loves"Chinese chicken" as he calls it. It turned out very well, I did not use the chiles but did use red pepper flakes, use 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 white sugar and reduced the amount to 1/2 cup total. It turned out awesome! Added steamed broccoli and basmati rice for a complete meal, family loved it, this one is a keeper. Also used boneless skinless chicken thighs for juicier chicken. Only gave 4 stars because it still came out a tad bit too salty for my taste, but will tweak recipe when I make it again.
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced (or more to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup cooking wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cornstarch (plus more)
- canola oil (for frying)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 16 small dried hot peppers (or 1 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan heat the chicken broth and water to a low boil.
- Add the cornstarch and whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add the sugar, soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, cooking wine, garlic and ginger, stirring constantly.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the soy sauce and eggs together.
- Add the cornstarch and whisk until smooth (Add additional cornstarch if needed to make the sauce thick enough to adhere to the chicken).
- Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a large skillet.
- Deep fry the chicken at 350 degrees until crispy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels and set aside and keep warm.
- Place a small amount of oil in the skillet and heat until hot.
- Add the onions and peppers and stir-fry briefly, about 1-2 mintues.
- Stir sauce and add to the pan. Place chicken in the sauce and cook until sauce thickens (about 5 minutes).