Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from a General Tso’s Chicken recipe in Men’s Health Magazine and posted on the Vegan Kitchen. The baked tofu is a great vehicle for the spicy-sweet sauce. Serve it over brown rice and tons of bright green steamed broccoli. Enjoy!
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 2 inches grated ginger
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups steamed broccoli florets
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Toss tofu cubes with 1 tbsp corn starch and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until slightly brown.
- While the tofu bakes, cook garlic and ginger in a medium saucepan for about two minutes. Add water, vegetable oil, hoisin, rice vinegar, brown sugar and sriracha and cook for about 3 minutes. Add corn starch and water mixture slowly, stirring constantly, until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Toss baked tofu with sauce.
- Serve over brown rice or quinoa with piles of freshly steamed broccoli. Enjoy!