I am Torgo. The Master loves my version of General Tsu's (or Tso's or Tsao's or Zhao's or Dzoo'z) stir-fry sauce. It goes great with stir-fry chicken, stir-fry vegetables, or whatever your desire.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (double-strength)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons stock (any kind)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- honey, to taste
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Whisk together the tomato paste, water, soy sauce, vinegar, & stock. Whisk in the cornstarch. Whisk in some honey a little bit at a time until your desired sweetness (dip your finger into it and taste as you go; try not to make too sweet so it doesn't overpower the other flavors). This is the base of the sauce and can be stored until you need it. Make 5x as much and put in a jar in the fridge (shake before using).
- Stir-fry your desired meat & vegetables and set to side. Now you're ready to use sauce!
- Heat peanut/canola oil at medium-high to high heat. Add the red pepper flakes. After 5-10 seconds, add garlic and ginger. Wait 5-10 seconds, add the sauce. Reduce the sauce so it becomes nice and thick. Add your stir-fry stuff for a minute or two. An option is to add a little sesame oil at the end and let it heat for a few seconds until you can smell its beautiful aroma. Serve. Eat.