Recipe by Boomette
A recipe from Ricardo that I made and liked a lot.
Top Review by duonyte
Quick dinner tonight. I used my preferred method to make the tofu cubes -- I sliced the block into three flat slices placed on a paper towel, covered with another one, then another plate and then some weights. Because things came up, this stood for about 3 hours. I then cubed the slabs and dredged them in cornstarch. The cubes turned into lovey brown nuggets - crispy on the outside and hardly there inside - an ephemeral creaminess. Mr Grumpy did not recognize it as tofu. I did end up using the full quantity of the sauce - do remember to stir it before throwing it in the pan - the cornstarch will settle as it stands. Also, I used just a fraction of the soy sauce, and the sauce was salty enough for us. Instead of broccoli, I used a frozen mix of Asian vegetables, on which I drizzled a touch of sesame oil. Quick to make once the tofu is pressed.
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 454 g firm tofu, cubed and blotted dry
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (I used only 1/8 cup of oil and cooked the tofu in one batch)
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets steamed
- steamed rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauce: In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Set aside.
- Stir-Fry: In a large bowl, dust the tofu with the cornstarch. Shake to remove any excess. Set aside on a plate.
- In a wok, heat the oil. Fry the tofu, half at a time, until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the tofu from the wok with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
- In the wok, fry the onions, ginger, and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. Add oil, if needed. Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Add the tofu and cook, stirring to warm through, and coat thoroughly with the sauce. Serve immediately over rice. Serve with broccoli.